Wow! Assignment 2 has sure been a crazy ride. I was certain this time that I would be able to work with 2 partners. But the unexpected happened as both my partners simultaneously dropped out of the course because they found the assignment 'too hard'. Now being stranded like this is rather annoying and depressing. But I was already working on the code and do not feel as bad as I would have if I had hardly began.
Although I must say that having the partners would have increased my chances of getting a really good mark.
Either way I must deal with this on my own :)
And speaking of crazy rides ... lets talk about bloated code. My code for assignment 2 is bloated like crazy. What I mean by bloated is that there is too many lines of codes. There are so many helper functions that it is making my head spin. I wish I had my partners so that perhaps I could have worked on it. But I do not have enough time and will have to hand in what I have.
If my program had been at its most efficient it would only be using one function but I guess I am not that good of programmer at the current moment to quickly come up with the best possible code.
But on the bright side this assignment once again got me to think really really hard. I learned new
tricks in python that I either did not know or was too lazy to know.
One such trick was a string method.
If you want to put a variable or an output inside a string here is how you do it:
example: A function f(x) return the number of hours you need to study give the course load x.
If I want to express the output in a string I can use this great method..
return 'I have to work {} hours'.format(what ever the output should be)
I always saw everyone else using this method but never tried it myself. But when I have
such a difficult assignment such as this I start getting practice on methods I would not normally use.
Now that I have practice in that method above I cannot live without it when coding in python.
I'm sorry to hear that your group abandoned you :(
ReplyDeleteI also did the second assignment alone (by choice), and I thought it was easier than the first assignment (in terms of volume) but perhaps slightly more difficult in terms of thinking.
Anyway, good luck!
Thanks for your comment :D
ReplyDeleteI also felt that assignment 2 was less daunting than assignment 1. Things did end up working out in the end and I do think that working on my own really did help me a lot! But at the same time I do feel that I should experience how it feels like working with a group.